Thursday, April 12, 2018

SO I MADE IT....I'M 60

Yep hard to believe I made it to 60. Never thought it would happen. I remember seeing obituaries when I was younger, much younger, all these people dying at 70, 72 wow good long life right....until you are closer to the end of your life than the beginning. Nothing really changed at 60 or at 50, 40 I still got up went to work did the school thing came home cooked dinner same old same old!!

Made it through another Christmas, too. What started out as being dinner for 8 turned into dinner for 14. First Steve's mom and Mike changed their minds and came ok ten is no  problem. Then Steve's old room mate Justin had a few days to visit, whats one more now we are 11...oh Chris may not be working..ok 12.... then Christmas morning Rachel tells me Bob and Trevor...the twins as they will forever be known, are alone...I had forgotten their mom moved to Florida this summer...call them and invite them, we are now 14, oh but Chris did work, double time, so we were 13. Things were a bit tight, but there was plenty of food, good conversation, and company....all in all a good day...

only thing missing was Gee...


So as you can gather I wrote this a few months ago, I don't know why I didn't post it....probably started feeling sorry for myself. So why revisit and maybe post an "updated" version....Found out yesterday all the para positions at the Middle School are being cut next year unless the city passes a 21/2 override, maybe, we are of coarse the last to be reinstated on the list.  So 5 floor paras, all women over 60, are cut, Five women who have worked at GMS for between 10-27 years are now looking for a "home" as Gee would say. We 5 are sitting at the top of the pay ladder for paras, which isn't very high more of a step stool. The lowest paid of all city employees. So now we fight for the right to bump another employee to try to keep a job in a school system where we are not valued.

So I will begin to weigh my options....how far do you think someone who has spent the last 10 years reteaching 7th grade math and science will get??? I'm thinking not very far.....









No comments:

Post a Comment