Monday, July 4, 2011

I lost a friend

A friend of mine passed away on June 30th. Geraldine Woodcome was an elderly lady, 89, who had been friends of my parents for years and years. After my dad died I wrote to tell her of his death, I couldn't find her telephone number. She wrote back and we started this friendship through letters. She was a nice lady, who outlived two husbands and a daughter. She would go to Florida in the winter and  once just stayed there for a few years. Until the day I got a phone call, "Guess what I did," she says. She was moving back to Fitchburg, to the Sun Dial, the elderly high rise. We continued to write, talk on the phone and have lunch a few times a year. With her passing brings to a close my connection to my parents generation ....all those who knew my parents way back when are gone now.

The aunts and uncles are gone, the classmates, the life long friends. All the people who could tell the stories of their youth have gone. It is very sad. I will miss her. May she rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment