Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sturbridge by Candlelight

Went to Sturbridge Village with some friends from work. Sturbridge is a living museum here in New England, 1830's. It was beautiful. All the paths lit by candles in lanterns, Christmas music floating out of the church on the common, carolers, and a wagon ride. It truly was a winter wonderland, minus the snow.

The Village is an annual destination for us in the summer. Rachel has always loved this place. I have been going there at least once a summer for as long as I can remember. My father was  big on history. A new museum every summer. We visited shortly before his death, his last look at a past he and my mother shared.

I had never been during the winter before. I will make a point to bringing Rachel next year. It was almost magical. The crisp clear night, almost a calming effect on everyone there. There were smiles and laughter all around. The children were wide eyed, looking everywhere, not wanting to miss a thing.


Just a Gee note, the first time we went together with my parents, Gee opens a closet door in one of the buildings and starts yelling "Hey Y'ALL, LOOK WHAT I FOUND" pointing at a vacuum cleaner and an electric outlet...told you they don't do everything the old fashioned way....... as they say couldn't take him anywhere!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the "Gee Moment"...Dave and I both just got a chuckle out of that one! We both can just hear him saying such a thing!

    ReplyDelete