Tuesday, September 13, 2011

JUST A PARAPROFESSIONAL

I never thought I would say it, I hate my job this year! It is only the 13th of September and my schedule has changed 10 times if it changed once. I was told today, in a very condescending way, my student, A, who has not been out in the student body for two years, doesn't have a one to one accommodation in his IEP, he'll be fine in two classes alone. So I have been pulled to go to the 7th grade floor to follow a kid, F, who also doesn't have  a one to one accommodation, but has been out in regular classes, I guess he is more important....

I sound bitter, well I am. I am good at my job, I know my kids, and to be told in such a way that I don't know what I'm talking about has just about crushed me. This from someone who has repeatedly told me I should go back to school because I am so good at what I do.Yes I am "just" a paraprofessional, I do not have a 4 year degree, I have a 2 year degree in Human Services and something that is obviously lacking in the administration, I have common sense. My common sense tells me A will crash and burn with out  support. He will spend his 8th grade year as he did his 6th and 7th, in a room with no contact with the other students and they will wonder why his social skills do not improve.

A is not the only kids I work with, in his two classes of 25 students there are 6 other kids, that's 7 out of 25, that's 28% of the class is on an IEP, but it makes sense to "them" to move me for one kid...oh yeah I didn't tell you THERE ARE TWO TEACHERS IN THAT ELA CLASS ALREADY!!!!

I am sick over this. In all my years working in Project Support I have never never felt like quiting, bitching yes but never quiting.  I guess I'll have to buy my first lottery ticket, never felt the need, my only question, which one and what do you do with them once you buy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment